SwimSwam continues our evaluation of the relay rankings for the 2021 Tokyo Olympics. That is the third in a sequence of articles for SwimSwam and at the moment we conclude the ladies’s relay occasions with a take a look at the 400 medley relay. We are going to remind everybody of the relay qualification course of for Tokyo:
OLYMPIC SWIMMING RELAY SELECTION PROCESS
- The highest 12 groups from prelims of every Olympic relay on the World Championships are chosen to the Olympics. The end order from prelims is what issues, so if a group is disqualified within the last (just like the Dutch combined 400 medley relay was), the group’s spot on the Olympics is safe.
- The subsequent Four finest relays from the qualification interval, March 1st, 2019 via Could 31, 2021, will obtain a spot – if the relay is swum at a FINA permitted Olympic qualifying occasion. This consists of most Olympic Trials meets, the Southeast Asian Video games, the World Championships, World Juniors, Euro Juniors, the World College Video games, the FINA World Cups (the place just a few international locations have really swum occasions that may get them chosen), and a choice of different essential worldwide meets.
- If any of the highest 12 groups from the World Championships, or any of the subsequent Four finest groups in the course of the choice interval, decline their spot, then the next-fastest group in the course of the choice interval goes. So, if a top-12 group on the World Championships declines their spot, it’s not essentially the 13th group from the World Championships that’s chosen.
- Girls’s Relays: 400 Free, 800 Free, 400 Medley
- Males’s Relays: 400 Free, 800 Free, 400 Medley
- Blended Medley Relay
A couple of notes:
- Nations can swim any athlete that’s entered in any particular person occasion in a relay, even when they haven’t achieved the OST/”B” normal for the corresponding stroke and distance of the relay through which they’re entered.
- Every NOC will get extra relay-only athletes, however these athletes should have hit the OST/”B” normal for the corresponding stroke and distance of the relay through which they’re entered. So, if a swimmer is racing the breaststroke leg of the medley relay, that swimmer should have no less than a “B” lower within the 100 breaststroke, if they’re a relay solely swimmer. If that breaststroker on the medley relay has no lower within the 100 breaststroke however is swimming, say, the 1500 free, they’re nonetheless eligible for the relay.
- Nations should affirm their participation in a relay no later than June 11th, 2021 and should affirm their relay-only athletes by no later than June 27th, 2021.
- No ‘combination relay occasions,’ the relay should really be raced to be thought of.
Relay-only swimmers, if a rustic has:
- 1 certified relay – 2 extra athletes
- 2 certified relays – Four extra athletes
- Three certified relays – 6 extra athletes
- Four certified relays – Eight extra athletes
- 5 certified relays – 10 extra athletes
- 6 or 7 certified relays – 12 extra athletes
These relay-only athletes which can be chosen for a particular occasion should swim that occasion in prelims or finals, or the nation might be disqualified in that relay.
SwimSwam visited relay rankings a year ago in anticipation of the initially scheduled video games. Because the coronavirus pandemic has compelled the rescheduling and cancellation of swim meets, we wish to revisit the rankings for modifications which have occurred previously 12 months. We might be taking a look at every relay over the subsequent few weeks and plan to replace the rankings as wanted all through the qualification interval.
Editor’s notice: FINA doesn’t formally publish an up-to-date rating for relay qualifying, so we’ve completed our greatest to compile the present rankings manually.
Girls’s 400 Medley Relay
|United States||Worlds #1||3:50.40|
|Nice Britain||Worlds #8||3:59.38|
|South Korea||Wildcard #1||4:03.38|
|Hong Kong||Wildcard #2||4:03.52|
|South Africa||Out #4||4:05.12|
Spain has made the largest bounce within the rankings from a 12 months in the past. Beforehand ranked 20th and 4 spots out of the final wildcard place, they’ve now jumped as much as the third wildcard spot with a time of 4:03.87 from December, dropping over a second from their earlier time (4:05.32) and placing them simply over a second wanting the Spanish nationwide document (4:02.84).
|A. Zamorano Sanz||1:00.98||A. Zamorano Sanz||1:02.01|
|J. Vall Montero||1:07.54||J. Vall Montero||1:07.27|
|A. Guillamon Novo||1:01.02||L. Munoz Del Campo||1:00.21|
|L. Munoz Del Campo||54.33||M. Gonzalez Crivillers||55.83|
Spain retained three swimmers from their 2019 group, conserving the backstroke and breaststroke legs the identical whereas shifting Lidon Munoz Del Campo to the freestyle leg and swimming Alba Guillamon Novo on the butterfly leg. Africa Zamorano Sanz has dropped important time over the previous 12 months in her backstroke occasions and she or he is now inside a second of the Spanish document in each the 100 and 200 backstroke.
Notably, that relay was completed with out the nation’s best-known swimmer, Olympic gold medalist Mireia Belmonte. Despite being the nation’s finest general swimmer, Belmonte hardly ever swims relays for Spain (and actually, the nation hasn’t raced any ladies’s relays on the final two lengthy course World Championship meets). At full power, she could be the butterflier on Spain’s finest 400 medley relay, although well being points have hit her performances laborious because the Olympics.
Spain shouldn’t relaxation on their laurels as a better take a look at the underside of the rankings present that eight groups are separated by lower than two seconds. We may see a whole lot of modifications in these locations over the subsequent couple of months. The European Championships scheduled for Could on the finish of Olympic qualifying ought to give these international locations a bonus heading into the meet as groups will know their targets and have the ability to management their very own future.
Israel is an unknown issue and has an out of doors likelihood of qualifying on this relay. As we mentioned within the 400 Free Relay, Israel has two high quality swimmers in Anastasia Gorbenko and Andi Murez. Taking a look at flat-start occasions from 2019 and 2020, Israel has an combination time on this relay of 4:05.65, which is well-under the present Israel nationwide document. As combination occasions don’t depend for Olympic qualifying, Israel would wish to swim underneath 4:05 to have a legit shot of qualifying for Tokyo.
Israel’s large benefit is the flexibility of Gorbenko, which permits them to experiment with totally different combos of swimmers. On paper, Israel’s finest relay is Gorbenko (again) – Lea Plonsky (breast) – Could Lowy (fly) – Murez (free). Of that relay, solely Murez was born sooner than 2001, so there’s upside potential there in age.
The USA is the odds-on favourite for gold on this occasion and one of many surest bets in Tokyo. Led by Regan Smith‘s World File lead-off of 57.57, the Individuals quartet of Smith, Lilly King, Kelsi Dahlia, and Simone Manuel set a WR of three:50.40 on the World Championships in 2019. Their time is greater than three seconds forward of second place.
The breakthrough of Australia’s Kaylee McKeown, the 2020 SwimSwam World Swimmer of the 12 months, to go underneath 58 seconds within the 100 backstroke, offers the Australians an opportunity right here, although. Whereas Lilly King is an ace-card for the USA that Australia can’t match, the Australian relay anchor Cate Campbell, at her finest, is the quickest 100 freestyler on the earth, and what’s extra has confirmed to be a significantly better relay commodity in her profession than the American anchor Manuel.