Because the calendar has turned to 2021, the main focus within the aquatics world turns to this summer season’s rescheduled Tokyo Olympic video games. Swimming nations will start to carry their choice meets within the upcoming months for each particular person and relay occasions. When it comes to which nations are eligible to swim relays in Tokyo, the method is as follows:
OLYMPIC SWIMMING RELAY SELECTION PROCESS
- The highest 12 groups from prelims of every Olympic relay on the World Championships are chosen to the Olympics. The end order from prelims is what issues, so if a crew is disqualified within the last (just like the Dutch combined 400 medley relay was), the crew’s spot on the Olympics is safe.
- The following Four finest relays from the qualification interval, March 1st, 2019 by means of Could 31, 2021, will obtain a spot – if the relay is swum at a FINA accredited Olympic qualifying occasion. This contains most Olympic Trials meets, the Southeast Asian Video games, the World Championships, World Juniors, Euro Juniors, the World College Video games, the FINA World Cups (the place just a few nations have truly swum occasions that may get them chosen), and a choice of different essential worldwide meets.
- If any of the highest 12 groups from the World Championships, or any of the subsequent Four finest groups throughout the choice interval, decline their spot, then the next-fastest crew throughout the choice interval goes. So, if a top-12 crew on the World Championships declines their spot, it’s not essentially the 13th crew from the World Championships that’s chosen.
A couple of notes:
- Nations can swim any athlete that’s entered in any particular person occasion in a relay, even when they haven’t achieved the OST/”B” commonplace for the corresponding stroke and distance of the relay wherein they’re entered.
- Every NOC will get extra relay-only athletes, however these athletes should have hit the OST/”B” commonplace for the corresponding stroke and distance of the relay wherein they’re entered. So, if a swimmer is racing the breaststroke leg of the medley relay, that swimmer should have a minimum of a “B” lower within the 100 breaststroke, if they’re a relay solely swimmer. If that breaststroker on the medley relay has no lower within the 100 breaststroke however is swimming, say, the 1500 free, they’re nonetheless eligible for the relay.
- Nations should verify their participation in a relay no later than June 11th, 2021 and should verify their relay-only athletes by no later than June 27th, 2021.
- No ‘mixture relay occasions,’ the relay should truly be raced to be thought-about.
Relay-only swimmers, if a rustic has:
- 1 certified relay – 2 extra athletes
- 2 certified relays – Four extra athletes
- Three certified relays – 6 extra athletes
- Four certified relays – Eight extra athletes
- 5 certified relays – 10 extra athletes
- 6 or 7 certified relays – 12 extra athletes
These relay-only athletes which might be chosen for a particular occasion should swim that occasion in prelims or finals, or the nation will probably be disqualified in that relay.
SwimSwam visited relay rankings a year ago in anticipation of the initially scheduled video games. Because the Corona pandemic has compelled the rescheduling and cancellation of swim meets, we want to revisit the rankings for adjustments which have occurred previously yr. We will probably be taking a look at every relay over the subsequent few weeks and plan to replace the rankings as wanted all through the qualification interval.
Editor’s observe: FINA doesn’t formally publish an up-to-date rating for relay qualifying, so we’ve carried out our greatest to compile the present rankings manually.
Girls’s 400 Free Relay
|United States||Worlds #2||3:31.02|
|Hong Kong||Worlds #10||3:40.40|
|Czech Republic||Worlds #11||3:40.78|
|South Korea||Out #3||3:42.58|
France has made the largest soar within the rankings from final yr. Retaining their spot as the highest wildcard entry, France has improved their time considerably over the previous yr. The French quartet of Marie Wattel, Charlotte Bonnet, Anouchka Martin, and Beryl Gastadello swam a 3:35.64 in December, dropping over 4 seconds off their earlier ranked time and a second off of the French nationwide document (3:34.64).
Whereas nonetheless a wildcard entry, the time now ranks France fifth general and solidifies their spot within the rankings as it’s fairly unlikely that 4 different groups would swim sooner. This time provides the French a legit shot to last in Tokyo. The French made one personnel change on this relay (Martin changed Lena Bousquin), and the opposite three swam respectively sooner than they did in June 2019:
|M. Wattel||54.08||M. Wattel||55.31|
|C. Bonnet||53.37||C. Bonnet||54.20|
|A. Martin||54.82||L. Bousquin||56.09|
|B. Gastadello||53.37||B. Gastadello||54.09|
Singapore and Switzerland at present maintain the ultimate two wildcard spots with Italy and Denmark shut behind. Factoring in South Korea and Turkey, there are six nations separated by simply over two seconds combating for 2 spots. This doesn’t embrace Nice Britain, who should not on this record resulting from selecting to not swim this relay at Worlds in 2019. The Brits, whereas not but certified, have the potential of placing collectively a top-Four relay; we’ll see this spring in the event that they resolve to swim this relay at both the British Championships in April or the European Championships in Could. The current announcement of a 6-week lockdown will maintain English swimmers out of the water, affecting their capability to coach earlier than these key spring meets.
The Russians are prone to make a last as effectively. Whereas they lack a 52-second famous person, they do have one of many deepest dash teams on this planet. Even in a truncated 2020, they’ve had Eight swimmers flat-start 54s this yr, together with 15-year outdated Daria Trofimova, who went 54.89 in October. The Russians may profit from the Olympic delay greater than anyone else.
Different groups to regulate embrace Israel and Hong Kong. Israel has a stable two legs with Anastasia Gorbenko and Andi Murez who each break up underneath 52 [short course] throughout the ISL season. Their next-best two are Aviv Barzelay (57.92 LCM finest) and Zohar Shikler (56.18 LCM finest), which implies their higher guess remains to be most likely the 400 medley relay.
Hong Kong has Siobhan Haughey who put up a 50.94 [short course] flat begin time on the ISL last. On the World Championships, the place Hong Kong certified for the Olympics, Camille Cheng was a price second, main off in 55.23, whereas Tam Hoi Lam break up 55.64 and Ho Nam Wai break up 56.64. Ho doesn’t flip 19 till April. That relay has potential to sneak into the ultimate, which might be huge for Hong Kong sport generally and might be sufficient justification for them to go after the race, even on the expense of one other 2 swims for his or her budding famous person.