2020 SCHSL Lady’s 3A State Swimming Championships
- October 10, 2020
- North Charleston Aquatic Heart, North Charleston, SC
- Course: SCY
- Outcomes on Meet Cell: “2020 SCHSL 3A Ladies Championships”
The South Carolina Excessive College League (SCHSL) is holding its State Championship meets this weekend, marking the primary highschool state championship meet because the coronavirus pandemic. The three women’ state championship meets are to be held on Saturday, with the boys racing on Monday.
The meet was held on the North Charleston Aquatic Heart, which has the capability to carry over 1,000 swimmers. On account of COVID restrictions, there have been no spectators allowed on the meet, and the variety of swimmers taking part needed to even be restricted.
The 3A Division contains the smallest faculties by enrollment of the SCHSL’s three swimming divisions. Colleges competing on this division are the smallest within the league, beneath its latest reclassification that was based mostly on enrollment numbers as of mid-2019.
In a good battle for the State Championship title, Oceanside Collegiate Academy prevailed over runner-up St. Joseph’s Catholic College with a complete of 139 factors. With their victory, Oceanside managed to defend its title from final yr.
Prime 5 Groups:
- Oceanside Collegiate Academy- 139 pts.
- St. Joseph’s Catholic College- 111 pts.
- Tutorial Magnet- 84 pts.
- Bishop England- 73 pts.
- Waccamaw- 69 pts.
Oceanside opened up the meet by taking first place within the 200 yard medley relay. The crew of Kendal Chunn, Nell Cagle, Grace Isaacs, and Caroline Hill swam to a last time of 1:48.26 to beat the rest of the sphere by over four seconds.
Two occasions later, Chunn took first within the 200 IM, touching in 2:04.12. This marked Chunn’s second-straight 200 IM title; finally yr’s championships, she went a 2:04.83 en path to her victory.
In the direction of the top of the meet, Chunn noticed her second particular person victory, profitable the 100 backstroke with a time of 57.17.
Oceanside additionally noticed a victory from Isaacs, who out-touched Christ Church Episcopal College’s defending champion Claire DePiero 24.26 to 24.37 within the 50 freestyle for the win.
DePiero additionally managed to win a number of races. In her first occasion, the 100 freestyle, she hit the wall in a time of 52.71 to assert the victory by nearly .5. Later, she teamed up with Christ Church teammates Mollie People, Karinne Everly, and Kylie Larkin to defeat Oceanside within the 200 freestyle relay. The foursome managed to swim a time of 1:39.24, beating Oceanside by over three seconds.
Within the last occasion of the meet, the 400 freestyle relay, Oceanside solidified its crew victory, coming in first general. The crew of Hill, Isaacs, Chunn, and Claire Natale touched in a last time of three:34.29. Along with her contributions to the relay, Chunn turned the one swimmer on the meet to win all four of their occasions, scoring an ideal 48 factors.
- St. Joseph’s junior Mary Kate Farrell gained each of her particular person occasions. Farrell started her day by profitable the 200 freestyle (1:52.54) by nearly 6 seconds. Later, she gained the 500 freestyle (5:05.14) by over 9 seconds.
- Bishop England’s Jill Smiley gained the 100 butterfly, crushing a time of 55.90. Along with her swim, Smiley lower over four seconds off of get seed time.
- Smiley’s teammate Lindsay Burbage emerged victorious over a good 100 breaststroke subject, hitting the wall in a time of 1:06.88.