Sometimes when you get a swimming pool it’s not always what you see that will cost you money BUT when you talk with the swimming pool contractors from SwimRight Pools in Scottsdale, Arizona they will let you know what costs there are to pool ownership. Are there hidden pool ownership costs? Not really, but if you don’t know what to ask, you won’t know what might come with a price tag you hadn’t budgeted for.
Swimming pool ownership is costly — there is no doubt — but the idea of having a staycation in your own yard in the heat of an Arizona summer more than makes up for it. When having a pool constructed or planning for one in the future, it’s best to be informed about any potential variables in pricing and what might impact the prices of items relating to your pool.
For example, an above ground swimming pool will cost less than an inground swimming pool. The value an inground pool adds to your home, though may make up for the cost. Above ground pools are more subject to the winds of a monsoon and don’t last as long as an inground pool does. These — and more are factors.
Are there hidden pool ownership costs?
We have put together a list of items to ask your pool contractor about so you’re not blindsided but a pool cost that a pool contractor deems “obvious” but you as a first time pool owner have no idea about.
- Refilling the water. You will need to plan to haul in water or fill from a hose to make up for evaporation and splash out.
- Buying all the pool chemicals. If you’re going to DIY pool maintenance, you will need to buy all the chemicals up front.
- The costs of heating or cooling the pool.
- Increases to your utility bills because you’re running the pool pump and filter so many hours a day.
- Budgeting for equipment breakdown.
- Determining whether it’s more cost effective to hire a pool contractor or DIY your pool service. You need to weigh the cost of your free time as well as the cost of learning how to properly perform pool maintenance. It is a delicate balancing act.
- The potential increases in your homeowner’s insurance policy rates.
- If you’re in the process of having a pool constructed ask for potential overrun costs and what might lead to a delay or cost overrun?
- Don’t forget to budget for your outdoor living space amenities
There is no doubt that once you become a pool owner some of those costs will seem to fade away when you’re enjoying your time in the pool. Give us a call if you’d like an estimate on pool cleaning for the upcoming summer season.