The second season of the Worldwide Swimming League is about to get underway in two weeks, on October 16th in Budapest, Hungary.
Season 1 of the league noticed eight groups compete throughout seven meets, with Power Normal finally profitable the Las Vegas finale in December 2019. Final yr, the league was host to the overwhelming majority of swimming’s most elite athletes, together with Caeleb Dressel, Daiya Seto, and Minna Atherton who every set new brief course world information in the course of the season.
The addition of two new groups for season 2, the Tokyo Frog Kings and the Toronto Titans, introduced two new nations into the combination and a few new faces to the league. With numerous Olympic gold medals and world document holders represented throughout 10 groups of the league, the firepower seen in season 1 will certainly be seen for a second time round. As the start of season two attracts nearer, check out where each team’s roster stands as of now.
It isn’t simply the swimmers of the league, nonetheless, with extremely respected resumes: the ISL coaches’ reputations are equally elite. Having collectively coached their athletes to innumerable Olympic medals, world information, and NCAA championships, the caliber of teaching on the ISL pool deck has doubtless been rivaled solely twice within the final decade; in Rio and in London.
Whereas it’s nonetheless unclear what number of coaches can be allowed on deck for every staff at every meet, we do now know who can be serving as head coach for every staff within the league this yr;
ISL SEASON 2 HEAD COACHES
Tokyo Frog Kings – Coach: Dave Salo
- For his or her debut season within the league, the Tokyo Frog Kings have introduced Dave Salo as head coach. Salo has coached a bounty of Olympic champions together with Jason Lezak, Katinka Hosszu, and Rebecca Soni. This yr, Vlad Moroz and Daiya Seto can be key belongings of Salo’s Frog Kings as he leads the staff into their first run on the championship.
Toronto Titans – Coach: Byron MacDonald
- A brand new coach to the league this yr, MacDonald has been across the worldwide teaching scene for many years. MacDonald has been teaching the College of Toronto Varsity blues since 1978, sending over 70 athletes to signify their nation on worldwide groups. In 1992, he was an assistant coach of the Canadian Olympic staff and most not too long ago coached Canadian Kylie Masse to a bronze medal within the 100 backstroke at Rio 2016 and a gold medal and world document in the identical occasion at World Championships in 2017. MacDonald brings a wealth of information and expertise to the Titans of their premier season.
NY Breakers – Coach: Martin Truijens
- Martin Truijens, who served as head coach of Demark’s Nationwide Coaching centre till 2019, will change Peter Andrew as head coach of the New York Breakers for his or her second season within the league. Andrew will keep on as an assistant coach. In 2019, the Breaker’s completed in eighth place within the league and with fairly a distinct roster from final season, will look to enhance upon final yr’s inserting. Long run, the Breakers plan on working to long run coaching centres with one lead by Truijens in Europe and one within the US, headed by Andrew.
Aqua Centurions – Coach: Matteo Giunta
- Matteo Giunta returns this season as head coach of Italy’s Aqua Centurions. Giunta has coached quite a lot of elite swimmers together with Aqua Centurion’s personal Federica Pellegrini, and World Champion Milorad Cavic and 2012 Olympic medalist Sergey Fesikov (Toronto Titans). Ending final within the European division in 2019, the staff has a renewed shot at redemption this yr. Giunta’s Centurions, nonetheless, had been simply hit with a 5 athlete loss from their roster and at the moment sit with solely 10 ladies and 14 males.
DC Trident – Coach: Cyndi Gallagher
- One other returning coach this season, Cyndi Gallagher will head the DC Trident teaching workers for the 2020 ISL season. Gallagher leads DC Trident following a 31 yr run as head coach of UCLA. DC has fairly a distinct roster this yr, having misplaced many massive names together with Katie Ledecky, Siobhan Haughey, and Cody Miller however have some sturdy additions reminiscent of Margo Geer, Jacob Pebley, and Amy Bilquist of their place.
Iron – Coach: Jozsef Nagy
- Legendary breaststroke knowledgeable, Jozsef Nagy return to Iron this yr, having served as an assistant coach in 2019. He’ll take over for Arpad Petrov. The Worldwide Swimming Corridor of Famer has coached a number of elite breaststrokers to greatness, together with Mike Barrowman, Sergio Lopez-Miro, and Annamay Pierse. Iron didn’t make it to the finals in final yr’s season and may have an opportunity at redemption this yr underneath Nagy.
LA Present – Coach: David Marsh
- With 12 NCAA titles underneath his belt as head coach of Auburn, Marsh lead the LA Present to a fourth-place end on the Las Vegas finale of ISL season 1. Marsh returns this yr as head coach of the Present, becoming a member of captains Ryan Murphy and Beryl Gasteldello to make a run at a return look on the 2020 finals.
London Roar – Coach: Melanie Marshall
- Mel Marshall and the London Roar had been only a couple races away from victory finally yr’s ISL last however finally misplaced to Power Normal. Marshall, a two time Olympian herself is a very long time coach of Olympic Champion, world document holder, and London Roar captain Adam Peaty. Not too long ago hit with a mass dropout of Australians from their roster, Marshall will lead a weakened Roar into the 2020 season with a shot at redemption.
Cali Condors – Coach: Jonty Skinner
- Skinner was not too long ago introduced as head coach of the Condors, following the unique 2020 head coach Jeff Julian’s latest hospitalization. A former world document holder within the 100 freestyle, Skinner has a long time of teaching expertise each within the NCAA and at USA Swimming. He’ll take over for final yr’s head coach Gregg Troy and can be part of returning Condor rating leaders Olivia Smoliga and Caeleb Dressel of their try at enhancing upon final yr’s third-place end.
Power Normal – Coach: James Gibson
- As the top coach of the ISL’s first-ever season champions, Power Normal, James Gibson is again for one more yr. A 2003 World Champion and 2004 Olympian, Gibson, in contrast to most different groups, coaches most of Power Normal year-round. With a shot at again to again championships, Gibson’s star-studded ENS roster is made up of each returning swimmers, together with 2019 MVP Sarah Sjostrom and up to date additions Matt Grevers and Siobhan Haughey.
Whereas most of the league’s head coaches additionally coach a few of their swimmers year-round, most of the assistant coaches listed on the roster are additionally residence coaches of swimmers on their ISL staff. These coaches will get the prospect to journey with the staff and subsequently their swimmers all through the league this fall. The flexibility for residence coaches to participate within the league is a giant draw for a lot of athletes as, in an Olympic yr, a five-week separation kind one’s common coach is actually not ultimate.
A key residence coach within the league can be College of Georgia’s assistant coach, Sean Schimmel, who’s on the roster this season for the Cali Condors. The Condors have a powerful contingent of swimmers from Georgia’s professional group, which Schimmel has been round for the previous 4 seasons, together with Hali Flickinger, Melanie Margalis, Nic Fink, Olivia Smoliga, Gunnar Bentz, Veronica Burchill, and Natalie Hinds.
A second coach to notice right here is London Roar’s Steven Tigg. Tigg has coached Roar’s Duncan Scott to a number of worldwide medals over the previous few years, and coached Scott, together with the remainder of London to second place finally yr’s ISL finale alongside returning head coach Mel Marshall. Tigg additionally coaches one among Roar’s latest addition to the staff, Aimee Willmott.
Tokyo Frog King’s teammates Yui Ohashi, Katsuhiro Matsumoto, and Miho Teramura can even every have their very own residence coaches round for the season; Norimasa Hirai for Ohashi and Yoji Suzuki for Matsumoto and Teramura. Vlastimil Cerny joins the Toronto Titans, having coach Titan Kelsey Wog for the previous 4 years on the College of Manitoba. As for the Aqua Centurions, Italian document holder Nicolo Martinenghi and coach Marco Giovanni Pedoja are each on the roster for the second season in a row.
Together with these examples, many extra swimmers will get the prospect to have their residence coach with them throughout ISL season 2, offering a degree of consolation for athletes to depart their coaching bases for upwards of 5 weeks.
Not solely will it carry wanted consistency to the athletes, however the residence coaches’ illustration additionally compliments the excessive caliber of teaching introduced forth by the top teaching workers.
ISL SEASON 2 ASSISTANT COACHES
Tokyo Frog Kings
|Vlastimil Cerny||CAN||Assistant Coach|
|Peter Andrew||USA||Assistant Coach|
|Don Wagner||USA||Assistant Coach|
|Mads Hansen||DEN||Assistant Coach|
|Alberto Pinto Da Silva||ITA||Assistant Coach|
|Marco Giovanni Pedoja||ITA||Assistant Coach|
|Robert Platt||USA||Assistant Coach|
|Susan Shaw Teeter||USA||Assistant Coach|
|Steve Worth||CAN||Assistant Coach|
|Lurii Zevin||UKR||Assistant Coach|
|Jackson Roach||USA||Assistant Coach|
|Kimberly Brackin||USA||Assistant Coach|
|Shahob Mehr||USA||Assistant Coach|
|Allison Beebe||USA||Assistant Coach|
|Sean Schimmel||USA||Assistant Coach|
|Brian Shrader||USA||Assistant Coach|
|Tom Rushton||GBR||Assistant Coach|
|Olga Yasianovich||BLR||Assistant Coach|
|Can Onsoy||GBR||Assistant Coach|