We’ve already done a deep dive into our recruiting archives, looking at how the top 20 recruits from the high school class of 2017 did after four NCAA seasons. Now it’s time to look back at a more recent recruit ranking: the current year’s freshmen, the first class we officially scouted from their sophomore years through their senior seasons of high school:
Naturally, this analysis has a far smaller sample size than our reports from the past two days, so it’s much more difficult to read too much into these numbers. Still, it’s useful to look at which first-year NCAA swimmers had the best performances relative to their recruiting ranks.
The ranks listed below are from our re-rank last summer – they are not current ranks of NCAA athletes. We also do not rank international athletes as recruits, as it’s hard to predict if and when they’ll come to the U.S., and which class with which to include them.
TOP 20 RANKED RECRUITS
|Rank||Name||College Team||Total NCAA Points||2021 NCAA Points|
|8||Abby Arens||NC State||0||0|
|16||Chase Travis||Virginia Tech||0||0|
|19||Katherine Zenick||Ohio State||0||0|
|HM||Emma Atkinson||Virginia Tech||21||21|
|HM||Megan Deuel||Notre Dame||0||0|
|HM||Nicole Oliva||Cal||0||no invite|
|HM||Chloe Stepanek||Texas A&M||26||26|
- This class was touted as one of the best to ever come through the NCAA recruiting ranks, and boy did they deliver. Even with four really key top 20 swimmers deferring their enrollment, this group scored a huge amount of points at NCAAs as complete rookies.
- Three athletes in this class have already won individual NCAA titles (Phoebe Bacon of Wisconsin; Alex Walsh of Virginia; Tarrin Gilliland of Indiana). One more (Emily Gantriis of Cal) has won a relay title.
- Factoring out deferrals, we had 23 ranked or honorable mention swimmers compete as freshmen. 22 earned individual NCAA invites and 12 scored individual points.
- Our entire top 7 scored big. Bacon is currently the class leader with 51 individual points. Walsh is close behind at 48.
- Further down, two honorable mentions had great rookie years: Emma Atkinson scored 21 for Virginia Tech and Chloe Stepanek 26 for Texas A&M.
- There really weren’t many in this class. It’s not easy to score at NCAAs as a freshman, and only two of our top 10 recruits didn’t score individually. Both were breaststrokers, for what that’s worth. Keating was close, placing 18th in the 100 breast and 21st in the 200 breast. Arens would have scored in the 200 breast had she held up her time from ACCs. Arens also chipped in an 800 free relay leg on day 1, which is pretty good versatility for a breaststroker.
And of course, we’ll include everyone’s favorite part: which unranked recruits earned NCAA invites and projected to score points this season – both domestic up-and-comers and international pickups.
|Rank||Name||College Team||2021 NCAA Points|
|Early ’21 (#12)||Reilly Tiltmann||Virginia||23|
|Maya Geringer||Ohio State||3|
|Anna Havens Rice||Kentucky||1|
- Tiltmann was the #12 recruit in the high school class of 2021, but graduated early and joined the NCAA, the way former #1 recruit Izzy Ivey did a few years back. Tiltmann scored 23 points even as an extra-young freshman.
- Two of these athletes were in our “best of the rest” (BOTR) ranks as of their senior years. Northwestern’s Mull had a top-8 finish in the 1650 as a freshman.
- Perhaps the additions of Mona McSharry and Anna Elendt contributed to our two top-10 ranked breaststrokers missing scoring. Both McSharry and Elendt were high-level breaststroke scorers as rookies in a class that scored a lot of breaststroke points.
|Name||College Team||2021 NCAA Points|
|Aranza Vazquez Montano||UNC||47|
|Anna Bradescu||Georgia Tech||2|
Archives: Revisiting Recruit Ranks
SwimSwam Magazines are big, coming in at nearly a pound per issue. We provide you four massive print issues designed to sit on your coffee table like a piece of artwork. With your yearly subscription, you receive over 600 of pages of swimming’s highest quality print content, and another 3000+ pages of digital issues, going back to the first issue produced.